Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Today






Today is a day that I will always remember. Today is a day of sadness for us and Nate's family. We got a call this morning that Thomas Budge , Nate's dad passed away at the age of 65 from a heart attach. We took the kids out of school and told them at home. As we all sat on the couch to tell them the spirit was so strong. Telling 4 small children that their BELOVED Grandpa is no longer with us, is not an easy task. I think its probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

Today I feel very blessed to have the Gospel in my life. Today I am thankful for Eternal families and for the knowledge that we will see Grandpa Thom again.

Today I am reflecting on all the happy memories we had with him. Today I think of the Legacy he left. Today I think of all he has taught me. He had such a LOVE for the grandkids. He adored them and loved to spend EVERY minute with each one. He taught our children how to fish and to love the outdoors. He taught Easton to love the scriptures. They would spend hours reading them everytime they were together. He showed us all how to work hard. He would take the kids over to the farm and on tractor rides every visit. He had the worldest GREATEST swings and would push the kids for hours. He taught us to LOVE pizza and Coke. He taught my boys to LOVE football. He taught us all how to love unconditionally. He showed me how much he adored Nate. Thom was one of those dads that would do anything for his kids. Saying goodbye was NEVER easy for him. We often joked because it would take hours to leave. We'd tell him, "It's not good-bye, its see you soon."

Today I am glad to know that I will see him Soon and that families are FOREVER.

We Love you Thom, Grandpa "Moo-Moo" ( as my kids nick-named him because he had cows!) and Dad.

29 comments:

Kar said...

love you katie, I am thinking about you and your family!

Kim Skinner said...

I'm so sorry!

Heidi said...

What a tender tribute and testimony, Katie. We were so sad to hear this and are thinking of you guys and praying for you. We love you.

steph said...

What great memories to pass on to your kids. Having the gospel definitely puts everything into perspective. We're thinking of you guys!

Lettie Peterson said...

Oh Katie I'm SO sorry.I will keep you and you family in my prayers.

Sarah said...

you and your adorable family are in our thoughts and prayers. Thanks goodness for the gospel in our lives. love you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for you loss. We are so lucky to have this Gospel. It is the only thing that gets us through times like these!

Anita said...

I'm sitting here bawling after reading your tribute. Of course, I've been doing that an awful lot since Aaron's mom called yesterday evening to tell us the news. He will be GREATLY missed. I love that man dearly. He was the closest thing (in feelings and often actions) to my father since my dad died when I was young. Know that you guys are in our prayers.

Matt and Adge said...

What a sweet post. I'm so sorry about grandpa thom. It's so hard to lose someone you love so much.

The Bentley's said...

oh katie, I am so sorry. What a sad time for your family. It is so nice to have the gospel and an eternal perspective on the future, but that I'm sure doesn't take the sadness away. We will be thinking of you and your family, especially nate.
xoxo

Sydney said...

What a treasured picture that first one is. He sounds like a wonderful man who lived a wonderful life. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Brandon J said...

I am so sorry for your loss. That is such a nice tribute to him. He sounds like he was a special dad and a special grandpa. Aren't we so blessed to know what we know-that we are forever families. Life would be hopeless without that knowledge. We are thinking about you guys.

Trisha said...

That was very, very special. Uncle Thom and ALL of his family are very special to us. Thanks for sharing your thought. We love you guys.

GoatesGirl said...

We love Grandpa Budge too! What a wonderful man, so glad to have been around him & know him. Our hearts ache with you. SO grateful for eternity.

love you!

Richelle said...

Very sad news. You'll all be in our thoughts & prayers. An eternal perspective brings peace.

sara said...

Nate and Katie,

My dad just called to give me the news. I was shocked and saddened. A football legacy in the family is gone. Please know that our hearts and prayers go out to the Budge family at this time. Wish we could be there to attend the funeral. I know it will be a celebration of a great life. I'm certain there is a great "family reunion" going on in heaven right now.

510Jen said...

I am so sorry Kaite. I was wondering if this was Nates Dad I heard about it on the news. He was a football coach right? Sounds like a wonderful man. Hang in there. Give Nate a hug for me. We are thinking about you. Talk to you and see you soon.

The Hokanson Family said...

What a sweet post. We love you guys.

The Young Family Inc. said...

What a lucky family to have a grandpa like Grandpa Moo Moo forever! Thoughts and prayers and with your wonderful family!

The Brown Family said...

still thinking of you guys. want to help in any way I can. we love you!

Morgan Greaves said...

Nate & Katie I am so sorry to hear about your loss! I have been out of town and just found out tonight. I am so sorry that I wasn't there for the viewing tonight and please know that all of you are in my thoughts and prayers! Love you both.

Elder Turner said...

Katie, i am so so sorry for the loss of your dad in law. i lost mine 3 years ago on christmas to cancer. it is such a hard burden to bare. we are truley blessed to have the gosple. lots of pryaers to you and your family. you will all be carried, this i know and there will be many tender moments along the journey, keep a journal. it helps! love and prayers~ Angie

It's Been a Day! said...

so sorry for your loss. I'm thinking about your family. Hope Nate is doing ok. Just from seeing your blog I have seen what a great grandpa he was and how much your kids loved him. I'm sure he'll be missed.

The Nunes' said...

I'm so sorry again for your family's loss Katie! I could tell just from the few times I saw him at church how full of life he was and how much his grand kids loved him! I hope you guys have been able to feel lots of peace and comfort spending some extra time with Nate's family.

Aly G said...

You guys are in our prayers! So glad we could come up and see you and his sweet family. I can't believe what a legacy he lived. He is one person we look up to and will always remember! Nate is so lucky to have him as his dad and those kiddos as their grandpa. We love you guys and will talk to you soon. They say our time here on earth is just minutes to what eternity will be! We love you guys!!!!!!!!!!

thekerrclan said...

I'm so sorry for all of you.

Bryn said...

I'm so sorry! What a horrible thing to have to explain to your kids, but so grateful that we have eternal families. I'm thinking about you!

Bridget said...

What a sweet little tribute to him. I love that your kids called him Grandpa moo moo.

The Larsons said...

Never easy to deal with loss... it is such a personal thing that it is even hard to find the words... but, you did a wonderful tribute here, on your blog. You guys are in our prayers.